THE BIG RED MACHINE

A couple of days ago my book tour took me Cincinnati.  I was at Joseph-Beth Booksellers for a reading and then a radio interview with Barbara Gray who hosts the wonderfully intelligent program Around Cincinnati on  WVXU 91.7.  The reading and interview both went really well.  And it would have been a perfect trip had I remembered my suitcase which was left sitting in my living room in Nashville.  Oh well, minor setback.

But truthfully, the highlight of this trip for me was the time I spent at the Great American Ballpark on the banks of the Ohio River.  My dad and I spent a lot of hours watching Cincinnati Reds’ baseball on television when I was little girl.  Bench, Rose, Concepion, Morgan, Geronimo — they were my heroes. My dad and I never went to a game together, and he passed away three years ago now.  So it felt like I was making a pilgrimage of sorts, for both of us.

I ate hot dogs, Cracker Jacks, ice cream, peanuts — all part of the journey — and the Reds won.  And my dad, well, he was there with me.

(p.s. Looking for the ballpark with the best food??  Let me know what you think!)

Posted July 22, 2009 at 8:40 am · 5 comments · Leave a Comment

Comments

1. Ruby Self, July 23rd, 2009, 1:32 pm

Susan that looked like the perfect day! Those are a rare treat! I can't wait to hear from you some more!!
  2. Ruby Self, July 23rd, 2009, 1:35 pm

I'm not sure where my other comment went, so I'm re-posting it. That looks like it was the perfect day! Days like that are a rare treat. I can't wait to hear from you again!
  3. Leisa Hammett, July 31st, 2009, 10:30 pm

This is called: you've been on the road so much you don't know if you are coming or going. I remember the feeling. And, also former husband once left his suitcase in the parking lot and daughter and I had to fly out w/o him to Disney. (It was part business for him.) I love Cincy and I ate all of those things last time I went out to the ball park. Braves style. All my friends could not believe a health conscious nut could eat so much junk.
  4. Charlie Katz, August 11th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Susan, This post stirred a lot of memories, thoughts and a couple of wishes for events that never happened. My father played catch with me, taught me to swing a bat, coached my Little League team, ironed letters on all the team caps for the league, and watched every game he could, but we never watched a big league game together. I got to see one exhibition game with him in Mobile. Chicago White Sox against the Cleveland Indians, just a a couple of days before Rocky Colavito was traded to Detroit. I still have the lineup sheet--it was a single piece of paper with the teams listed on opposite sides and the wrong date--and a baseball with Colavito's autograph. Later, though, we didn't talk that much about baseball. It would have been great to see a couple of regular season games with him, but I'm grateful for the time. I also remember the Big Red Machine, and I think their World Series against the A's in 1972 may be the best ever, although it doesn't get in the highlight reels. Thanks for reminding me of all this. Charlie
  5. Tibbie, May 3rd, 2011, 7:45 am

Posts like this brighten up my day. Thanks for taikng the time.