SEWING LESSONS AND EMBALMING ROOMS

People often ask me about specific characters in a book or the writing process, but seldom do people ask me about the research involved in developing a story. And this may very well be one of the aspects of the process that I love the most. For The Funeral Dress (the book I’m currently writing), I have already taken sewing lessons, interviewed several Sequatchie County residents, talked to local social workers and visited an area funeral home.

OK, I admit that when I walked into the embalming room, I felt anxious, very anxious. The smell, the tools, the stainless steel tables all contributed to a certain amount of sensory overload. But to tell the truth, the hardest thing I’ve done to date were the sewing lessons.

I’ve hemmed a skirt or two and sewn on a few buttons here or there in the past, but to make a dress, one that I could actually wear, well, that was an accomplishment. And the process was surprisingly emotional as I began to translate what I was learning to what my characters do. Two of the women in The Funeral Dress work at a shirt factory (based one that really did exist in Dunlap, TN).

The seamstresses in my book are all women, and all are assigned one specific task – sewing a collar, hemming a dress, etc. These women do the same task, day after day, year after year. In fact, a woman who makes collars is simply called a collar maker. A woman who hems a dress is called a bottom hemmer. All of this is rooted in truth, in the true stories of the women who tirelessly worked at the Dunlap Shirt Factory.

The remains of the Dunlap Shirt Factory

It’s so often in the research that my characters become people, so real that there are moments in the day when I forget they are not. I feel their pain and their joy, and it’s that part of the writing process that feels the most vulnerable and the most intimate for me. It is that perfect moment when I loose myself in the story.

Posted February 21, 2011 at 9:54 am · 11 comments · Leave a Comment

Comments

1. bermudaonion (Kathy), February 21st, 2011, 10:49 am

I would struggle with touring the funeral home and with sewing. I'm really excited about your book!
  2. Tweets that mention SEWING LESSONS AND EMBALMING ROOMS | Susan Gregg Gilmore: Official Author Site -- Topsy.com, February 21st, 2011, 11:08 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by susangilmore, susangilmore. susangilmore said: New blog post:: SEWING LESSONS AND EMBALMING ROOMS http://bit.ly/ibVT72 [...]
  3. Rich Wiltfang, January 19th, 2013, 11:23 am

It has been a long wait since SALVATION and BEZELLIA! How much longer before THE FUNERAL DRESS?
  4. streetdirectory, July 7th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Hi! I simply want to give you a huge thumbs up for your great information you've got right here on this post. I will be returning to your website for more soon.streetdirectory
  5. Betsy, September 6th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Looking forward to reading The Funeral Dress, My mother worked at Spartan Ind.(shirt factory) several years.
  6. coffee bean roaster, September 3rd, 2014, 8:21 pm

coffee bean roaster SEWING LESSONS AND EMBALMING ROOMS | Susan Gregg Gilmore: Official Author Site
  7. kindle unlimited, March 5th, 2015, 10:05 pm

kindle unlimited SEWING LESSONS AND EMBALMING ROOMS | Susan Gregg Gilmore: Official Author Site
  8. nettikasinot, June 9th, 2015, 12:51 pm

määrittäminen rahapelit casino joka sopii tarpeisiin on ole aina helppoa, Ainoastaan meillä sustain helpottanut excerption. http://kasino247.org/ - suomalainen casino
  9. Air freight Shipping uk, December 15th, 2015, 8:56 pm

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of completely unique content I've either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any solutions to help protect against content from being ripped off? I'd truly appreciate it.
  10. mortgage, December 21st, 2015, 7:53 am

The Underwriter will certainly likewise examine that the expected home mortgage repayment will certainly not surpass 43 % of the buyer's income.
  11. Boise Flood Restoration, December 31st, 2015, 3:54 am

Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to return the want?.I am attempting to to find things to improve my website!I suppose its good enough to use some of your ideas!!